Government of Alberta Natural Gas Rebate
In October 2022, the Government of Alberta implemented the Natural Gas Rebate Program to help Albertans manage high heating costs related to fluctuating natural gas prices from October 2022 to March 2023. Subsequently, in February 2023, the Government of Alberta extended the Natural Gas Rebate Program, and it now provides year-round price protection for consumers.
What you need to know:
- The rebate will be triggered if the monthly gas rate charged by any one of Alberta’s three regulated utility providers is above $6.50 per gigajoule (GJ). To see the highest monthly gas rate, visit the Government of Alberta affordability program website.
- Rebates will cover the difference between $6.50 and the highest regulated rate that calendar month. For example, if the rate is $7.00, eligible consumers would get a rebate on their bill covering $0.50 for every gigajoule used.
- If the rebate is triggered, eligible customers will see a credit on their invoices labelled “GOA Utility Commodity Rebate”.
- To be eligible, you must be:
- connected to the natural gas distribution system,
- on either a regulated or competitive plan, and
- use less than 2,500 gigajoules of natural gas annually.
- The exact timing of the rebates will vary depending on your billing cycle.
Please go to the Government of Alberta website for more information regarding the natural gas rebate.
If you have questions or concerns about eligibility criteria, please contact the Utility Consumer Advocate at 310-4822 or by email at UCAhelps@gov.ab.ca.