Our History

Alberta’s Natural Gas Provider for Over 70 Years

Our corporate history dates back to the early 1950’s when a number of Alberta utilities were incorporated. Over the 70 year period that followed, utility acquisitions, divestitures, and name changes would eventually lead to the establishment of Apex Utilities Inc.

1951

Alberta Consolidated Gas Ltd. is incorporated and acquires all shares of eight utilities, including our current service areas of: Athabasca Utilities Ltd., Calmar Utilities Ltd., Leduc Utilities Ltd., Morinville Utilities Ltd., St. Paul Utilities Ltd., and Westlock Utilities Ltd.

1954

Alberta Consolidated Gas Ltd. is renamed Great Northern Gas Utilities Ltd.

1955

Plains-Western Gas & Electric Co. Ltd. acquires the assets of Great Northern Gas Utilities Ltd.

1979

Plains-Western Gas & Electric Co. Ltd. is renamed Inter-City Gas Utilities (ICG) Ltd.

1980

Plains-Western Gas & Electric Co. Ltd. is acquired by Inter-City Gas Corporation and renamed ICG Utilities (Plains-Western) Ltd.

1985

ICG Utilities (Plains-Western) Ltd. is renamed ICG Utilities (Alberta) Ltd.

1987

ICG Utilities (Alberta) Ltd. acquires the assets of Bonnyville Gas Company Ltd.

1991

ICG Utilities (Alberta) Ltd. is acquired by Westcoast Energy Inc. and renamed Centra Gas Alberta Inc.

1998

Centra Gas Alberta Inc. is acquired by AltaGas Services Inc.

1999

Centra Gas is renamed AltaGas Utilities Inc.

2018-2020

AltaGas Utilities Inc. is acquired by AltaGas Canada Inc. AltaGas Canada is renamed TriSummit Utilities in 2020.